The focus of our research are 3d metal ions, especially their interaction with (reactive) oxygen species. One of our research interests includes multinuclear complexes as potential catalysts in multielectron transfer reactions. Here, we seek to understand the cooperative effects of metal ions to establish a structure-function relationship for the development of new homogeneous catalysts. Additionally, we are focusing on reactive intermediates formed in copper complexes.
Another research field is located in metalloneurochemistry. Here, we are developing metal specific chelators and fluorescent sensors to explore the metabolic pathways of (especially) endogeneous zinc ions.
Chosen research areas:
- Multinuclear catalysts can store more than one redox equivalent, which makes them promising candidates for the catalysis of complex redox reactions.... read more
- Fluorescent sensors and chelators are important tools in metalloneurochemistry to study the role of endogeneous inorganic species such as 3d metal ions in the central nervous system....read more
Publications - excerpt
- S. Becker, D. Rosca: Trendberichte Anorganische Chemie 2021: Nebengruppen, Koordinationschemie und Bioanorganik, Nachrichten aus der Chemie2021, DOI: DOI: 10.1002/nadc.20214103880
- C. Gawlig, S. Schindler and S. Becker: One-Pot Conversion of Cyclohexane to Adipic Acid Using a µ4-Oxido-Copper Cluster as Catalyst Together with Hydrogen Peroxide, Eur. J. Inorg. Chem.2020, DOI: 10.1002/ejic.201901052(cover picture and Cover-Interview)
D. Bauer, B. Andrae, P. Gaß, D. Trenz, S. Becker and S. Kubik: Functionalisable acyclic curcurbiturils, Org. Chem. Front. 2019, DOI: 10.1039/C9QO00156E
- S. Becker: The crystal structure of [Fe2(PIMIC6)(AnthCO2)(CH3CN)]·[Fe2(PIMIC6)(AnthCO2)(CH3CN)0.9(CH2Cl2)0.1]·[Fe2(PIMIC6)(AnthCO2)(OH2)]·0.75CH3CN: a crystallographer's nightmare or a fascinating case of disorder? Acta Cryst2018, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1107/S2052520618000689(cover picture)
- F. Wang, S. Becker, M. A. Minier, A. Loas, M. N. Jackson, S. J. Lippard: Tuning the Diiron Core Geometry in Carboxylate-Bridged Macrocyclic Model Complexes Affects Their Redox Properties and Supports Oxidation Chemistry, Inorg. Chem.2017, DOI: 10.1021/acs.inorgchem.7b01418
- C. Sessler, M. Rahm, S. Becker, J. Goldberg, F. Wang, S. J. Lippard: CF2H, a Hydrogen Bond Donor, J. Am. Chem. Soc.2017, DOI: 10.1021/jacs.7b04457
- S. Becker, P. Müller: A Reinterpretation of the Crystal Structure Analysis of [K(crypt-222)]+CF3−: No Proof for the Trifluoromethanide Ion, Chem. Eur. J. 2017, DOI: 10.1002/chem.201700554
- S. Becker, M. Dürr, A. Miska, J. Becker, C. Gawlig, U. Behrens, I. Ivanović-Burmazović, S. Schindler: Copper Chloride Catalysis: Do μ4-Oxido Copper Clusters Play a Significant Role?, Inorg. Chem.2016, DOI: 10.1021/acs.inorgchem.5b02576
The complete list of publications is found here